Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Health Tip Tuesday: Size Matters

Portion size definitely, 100% matters. Today we will focus on controlling that with plate size. The size of the plates we use on a daily basis.....

Look at all the gorgeous patterns.

I know that when shopping for dishes, they will usually come in sets. Sets that will consist of "dinner" plates (commonly 10"), dessert or side plates (usually 8"), and some bowls and mugs maybe too. The way they are labeled just makes it seem like we are obligated to use that 10" "dinner" plate for our main course in our meal.....so wrong. 

In the above picture, see those smaller plates in the front there? Those are the ones we should be grabbing before we load up for dinner. And this is why: for some reason we feel the urge to complete every single bite left on our plate before declaring we are full. And maybe this urge exists because we were taught just that - to "not waste". This is something I do and I don't even know if I can consciously help it; but what I (and we) can do is just make the plate we use smaller, therefore, less food is sitting there begging for consumption. See how simple that is? Mind tricks, I know.

Our 10" plates have gone untouched for quite a while now (mostly only used when company are here) and I can honestly say we aren't missing much - but my fat jeans are sure missing me. 

Check out these super cute plates from French Bull

I want to hear some clever names for that 8" plate that will guide us into thinking that it is truly superior to that  lousy ol' 10" plate. Post in comments.

1 comment:

  1. How about "Skinner" plate for skinny and dinner...get it? Lol. Good post, now we need to go shopping for skinny plates.

    ReplyDelete