Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Gestational Diabetes

It's been a few weeks now that I've known of my gestational diabetes. After an overwhelming and long  appointment at Royal Columbian Hospital (met with a nurse and a dietitian) where I learned the ins and outs of my new condition, I have begun to get the hang of things a bit more. 
I definitely didn't realise how much food was affecting me because even a little dash of sugar in my coffee or a drizzle of honey on my peanut butter toast was/is too much for my body to handle. After the first weekend of my new diet, pretty much all my anxiety, irritability, fatigue and mood changes were eliminated. And for that, I am so ever grateful for! To say the least, I feel balanced.   

I can't completely remember why I need to be taking extra vitamin D on top of what's in my prenatals, but that's what the dietitian said, so I obliged. 


I keep strict records of everything including: keytone urine in the morning, type/amount/time of food I eat, and blood glucose levels before and after every meal.


After the first week, I started to feel a bit more confident about the whole process and don't have to look at the meal plan for suggestions of what/how much I can eat.


I am still, however finding it a bit challenging to eat as much protein as my body requires and is suggested on the meal plan as this was not something I was used to. My favourite 'go-to' snack is blueberries (a diabetic friendly fruit due to lots of fiber) in greek yogurt.

As of right now, the baby is doing great, I'm doing great and Wren and Lane have been very supportive in the process. If you have any diabetic tips, I would love to hear them as this is all very new to me.


                                                     32 weeks and 2 days belly

No comments:

Post a Comment