Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Natural Birth


Although I believe 100% the benefits of a natural birth, I didn't necessarily plan on it last time....

Our birth plan stated that I'd like to make an informed decision when I'd receive some meds. I knew that I wanted to feel some of the contractions but with a first baby, I'd heard horror stories of labors lasting past the 12 hour mark. And for that reason, I felt that I would play it by ear, if the contractions were strong and lasting forever, I probably would've gotten something for them.

Three hours after my water broke, I was ready to start pushing. I remember vividly thinking that the encouraging people around me were 'just joking' when they said I could try pushing if I'd like (we'd been in 'false labor' and sent home from the hospital a couple times already). I humored them, and gave a few pushes (nothing, might I add, like the movies make it seem to be). Then someone thought it might be amusing to say "The head is right there! You are doing great, do you wanna feel? She's so close". At this point, I thought 'well maybe they aren't joking. I suppose I could double check'. So I reached down to feel a slippery, tiny rigid head. They say I only did a couple strong pushes after that before she was placed on my chest. Big blue eyes staring into mine, so perfect. Both of us completely aware of what just went down.

My doula congratulated Lane and I on Wren's arrival and told me that I was so strong because I managed to do it without any drugs. Everything was so surreal, that that part didn't really sink in until afterwards. Me giving birth without any drugs seemed a little impossible and unbelievable for me.  Laying on the bed, I asked Lane or my doula to please hold Wren because I was shaking uncontrollably and was scared that I'd drop her. I kept apologizing and asked why and when it would stop. "Because it's your natural adrenaline that got you through this." I was told.

Labor and birth is not a disease or something that is broken in our bodies, it is a process that miraculously happens very naturally. Our bodies know what they are doing.

I read this really amazing article/post from DearBaby blog. It goes into detail about natural birth and even how we can properly prepare ourselves for it.
http://dearbabyblog.com/post/13549038217/lets-talk-about-birth-life-as-a-parent-is-all


P.S. I have many fears of actually planning for a natural birth this time, but I know with support, education, and a commitment to surrender to my body capabilities, I will be able to do it all again. The prize is SO SO SO worth it at the end!

***
Look at my baby now. not so much a baby anymore eh?


Weeee!

Beautiful spring day at the park! 







2 comments:

  1. Jocelyn - I so enjoy reading your blog! My hubby and I are nowhere near having children, but seeing Wren and your baby bump make me so excited for that part of our future! You are so strong for going natural the second time around. I can't wait to read more updates on your pregnancy!

    Hope you had a wonderful day :)

    Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    PS: Thanks for the sweet words on my blog. I tried to reply back, but I see that you're a no-reply blogger. If you follow the steps in this link, you'll be able to receive replies from others:

    http://www.pleasant-home.com/2010/12/so-exciting-less-no-reply-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading you blog!
    I myself was induced with my first pregnancy and with the contractions being right on top of the others I chickened out and went for the epidural, NEVER AGAIN! The doctor missed my spine completely and The only thing it made numb was the top of my right thigh!
    I felt my whole labor and will be going into this one with a lot stronger mind set that my body and I can do it!

    Jay
    xo

    Young mum's Guide To Survival

    ReplyDelete